Tuesday 27 November 2018

Awaiting Inspiration

Now't is really grabbing my attention at the mo'.
I'll do a leather grip for the Plum bow and maybe sort through my staves.
I did a little repair for an old friend this afternoon, the bow wasn't one I'd made. It was a Hickory backed Osage ELB, the repair was just a fine linen thread binding over a splinter and it didn't take long. It was good to see him and have a natter tho'.
I've got some more glass coming for crossbow limbs which I may jump onto as I also have some Maple for the core.
I did some testing of the crossbow with the rigid 'scope mount. It shot nicely with the wooden bolt at 20 yards with only about one and a half dots movement on the graticule compared with 10 yards.
I then tried the Ali' bolts and despite being 7 grains heavier they shot about 4" higher! The difference is they are slightly smaller diameter, shorter and have smaller plastic fletchings so ar more aerodynamic. The lesson is that to do any meaningful sighting up one needs well matched bolts (Yeah... I know that's obvious!)
For me the BIG disadvantage of the Ali bolts is that I can't see where they are on the target until I walk up to about 10 yards. So...
I searched the internet and found some Chinese carbon arrows that are bright yellow and 30" long so I'll get 2 bolts from each.
Six of 'em for about £11 which is cheap enough to have a play with.

It's pouring with rain here so I may end up clicking "buy" some more or writing things on my Christmas list.

No comments:

Post a Comment