Saturday 8 June 2019

Funny Old Weather




We had one scorching hot day last week, so I put up the awning that I ordered last year, it's just a decent quality tarpaulin really, the stuff they use for the side of big lorries. The proper fancy awnings like you see in fancy hotels in sunny climes cost a small fortune. It worked really well and kept it pleasantly cool and shady indoors. Next day the weather turned so I had to take it down, which doesn't take long.
It's now been really miserable for a couple of days, and I really notice how dark it is in the garage compared with when I have the big up-and-over door open (you can't beat natural daylight from the North).
I'd been sitting with my mug of tea and the Toolstation catalogue and I saw a 600mm x 600mm LED panel light which looked like it would provide some good extra illumination over the work bench and give me something to tinker with on a wet afternoon. I also bought a couple of LED bulbs for my benchlight (the fluorescents take an age to get to full brightness and are a tad yellow).
The led panel comes with it's own slim transformer and the whole lot is very light...the down side is, it's doesn't come with any fixings as it is designed to drop into a suspended ceiling. Ha, but that just gives me something else to fiddle with. 4 wooden blocks screwed into the ceiling joists and some little aluminium clips did the job. It wasn't quite that easy, as I had to move one of the fluorescent tubes a bit to create space.

Why am I blethering on about all this? Well, I though it was about time I posted on here and I wanted to take some pics of a pair of longbows I've just finished. It's too wet to take the pics outside, but with the new lighting, maybe a pic on the garage floor might suffice.
The bows are two of the prototype flight bows I'd made earlier, suitable fiddled fettled and adjusted to become roving/field bows. They are both left handed and one has been worked down to 35# @ 27" . The are for the couple who run the ILAA, they'd asked me to make bows for them, but I'm not that keen on making laminates, so finishing up the flight bows seemed like a win-win solution especially as they wanted good cast.
The ladies bow Boo/Yew/Ipe is particularly impressive cast wise having shot over 220yards with a flight arrow, the gents bow making over 235. Distance isn't directly proportional to poundage and it was interesting to note that in the flight shoot the other week, sometime the lower weight bows were out shooting the heavier ones.

Anyhow, that's about it, other than some tinkering with the crossbow project, but I've got to go and do the weekend shopping now :-(


No comments:

Post a Comment