Sunday 24 November 2019

Bow Weighing Rig

I'm making this portable rig for someone to replace a somewhat heavy and agricultural one.
It gives me an excuse to turn some bits on the lathe and bash some metal.
I bought the crane scale off E-bay for about £19, I've made a nice curved piece to hook onto the bow string and modified the scale slightly, removing some of the bulky case to allow the hook to be fitted better.
I sawed off some of the excess case and used the offcuts to patch the resulting holes, which I then painted with some Humbrol enamel, which gave a remarkably good match.

The scale is rather nice inside, a shaped plate of aluminium has strain gauges mounted to it (these are covered with epoxy) they are wired to the circuit board which has a surface integrated circuit (amplifier) and another mounted directly on the board, potted in epoxy (display driver)? The push buttons are nice discrete switches with good feel (rather than unreliable membrane switches), they sit behind a thin membrane/label which keeps the muck out and protects the display.
It was worth taking it to pieces as I found the internal screws that hold one end of the plate to the case were loose and there was small split pin inside! (it's part of the kit of bits, shackle, hook etc that comes with the scale)
The spine of the rig will be a length of aluminium extrusion which was left over when we had solar panels fitted. The clamp to hold the bow is made of layers of ply, it slides in the extrusion and a simple loop of bungee cord with a nice leather tab holds the bow firmly in position against the larger fixed plywood block. The bungee hooks over a knob turned from lignum vitae (I bought a chunk of lignum off E-bay just for the fun of turning it).
 The winch is also made of plywood glued up and turned on the lathe, it pivots on a turned steel shaft and the handle is turned wood mounted on an aluminium crank. I pretty much copied the dimensions from the original, whilst improving the detail.
I've laid the parts roughly in position to show how it goes together. One nice feature is the measuring tape which slides nicely in a channel along the aluminium extrusion, this will be attached to the sliding block which presses against the back of the bow, thus giving draw length measured to the back.

I'll probably get the rig finished before picking up the next stave, which I expect will be a Pacific Yew Warbow for my mate Rob, not the same Rob who had the Yew primitive...




1 comment: