Saturday 25 April 2020

Ash Backed Yew

 I've made an Ash Backed Yew for myself I was aiming for 80# @ 32" but I may be a whisker under as I was using some scruffy offcuts of Yew glued up as billets. Once the billets were Z spliced together and the Ash back glued on (with about 1" of reflex at the tips) I could see it was a tad thin near the centre so I glued on a strip of similar Yew about 4mm thick, which bought it up to just about enough thickness. It made it a bit tricky to tiller as the added on section was a bit stiff at the very centre but still left a slightly thin area where it faded out. I made a video of the whole tillering process as someone had been asking about it.
Del's Tedious Tillering Video
I haven't actually got round to making a string for it yet so it's not been shot... mind I can only shoot it at 10 yards at the moment.

Whilst sorting my Yew and sawing out the various billets I created a skinny Yew off cut, (top left pic) once again, this had a rather thin area, so I added a patch (top right pic) and then glued the back on so that it was over the patch, leaving a nice clean belly.The back was a similar Ash off-cut making a rather thin 55" bow, this has been a good quick tillering exercise, with most of the cleaning up and wood removal being done on the belt sander! I'll edit a video of that later on, it'll probably just about make 35#@27" and will be called Needle Bow II.

The Corona virus lockdown hasn't been too bad for us as we're luck enough to have a fair amount of room, a reasonable sized garden and stuff to keep us busy... I must admit I was sufficiently bored at one point to resort to cleaning the cooker hood, I also cleaned the car which is something I usually do about twice a year. I really feel for those stuck in small flats with young kids and no garden. We live in strange times.

I couldn't resist adding the pic of the Alconet flowers, it's rather invasive, but the bees love it. Small flowers but very cheerful, there is a lot of blue in the garden at the mo', vast swathes of Forget-me-not and the Rosemary has it's dusky blue flowers too


1 comment:

  1. Brilliant tillering video. Many thanks..Rgds Adrian

    ReplyDelete