Monday 4 June 2018

New Bows

Had a good day on Sunday at Boyton Cross farm with the Now Strike Archers (I've finally paid my subs too!). Glorious sunshine.
I took the spliced Yew 60# along for Martin, who loved it as he could now get past the 180 yard mark. Inspecting the bow and showing him round the features I pointed out a couple dark streaks about 1/4" apart running along the side of the bow. I'd hoped they would come out with scraping during the final finishing. The marks are where there is a wafer thin sliver of wood that isn't fully solid with the rest of the wood, (probably a radial crack in the wood) it's not lifting at the ends, just weak along the lines. It was showing a very slight buckle in the middle. I said to keep an eye on it and if it starts to lift I'll rasp (or chisel) out a narrow scoop a few mm deep and patch it. I expect it will be fine but always good to keep an eye on things.
The sketch shows what I mean.
JT was shooting the Italian Yew warbow that he's been making under my watchful eye over the last few months. It was a challenging stave, not very long and with a big knot half way up the top limb (which makes that limb a whisker stiff). It shot very nicely, comparable with some of his heavier bows. We can't remember exactly what the draw weight was, but about 100# at 30". It flexes a good bit in the handle as it wasn't a very thick stave to start with and I was sceptical that it would reach the 100# mark.

To give myself something to shoot I took a tiny Yew bow I made ages ago, it started as a Yew sapwood bow and then I glued a thin slat of heartwood up the belly. It's only 46.5" long but draws to 28" and it shot my flight arrows about 165 yards.

No comments:

Post a Comment