Tuesday 18 December 2018

Yew 40# ELB Finished














This'll be my last bow of the year ... probably :-) ... !
I've made the string, shot 30 arrows through it, done the arrow plate and leather grip. It's very handsome with some interesting features including an odd line where the sapwood becomes darker, this shows above the grip  where the tail end of the splice shows.
I don't think the process whereby wood turns from sapwood to heartwood is fully understood (certainly not by me!) but it seems to be a bit random.

Because it's from book matched billets the undulations on each limb are nicely matched, and you can see the bow has a nice overall straightness, thanks to a bit of heat bending early in the tillering.

The knotty feature is on the lower limb about 10" from the tip.

I expect I'll do a review of the year as the next post, but don't s'pose I'll post much over the festive season. So just in case:-
Seasons greetings and a happy Winter Solstice to one and all.
May your fletchings stay dry and your arrows fly true.



4 comments:

  1. Ver nice Derek,
    as expected.
    Merry Christmas to you too.
    PS Go on, make another. I always log on to see what's what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking of making a jig for doing those fancy 4 point footings on arrows... mostly for my flight arrows.
    But I do have a skinny bit of Elder .... hmmmm :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking bow Del.
    Looking forward to the footing jig build, should be interesting I'm sure.
    Hope you have a nice Christmas hol's. Brian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Brian. Best wishes to you and all at CoG

      Delete