Monday 25 May 2020

A Couple of Repair Jobs

We've got back to some shooting, just roving on a big open field, we can keep well apart whilst getting some fresh air and lobbing arrows into the sky.
I went with 2 bows and came back with 3! I gave my mate JT the latest flight warbow to try, he wasn't getting it back to full draw but it seemed promising.
 He showed me some chrysals that had appeared on one of his old stalwart Yew bows. I'd already done an extensive and complex repair on it a good while back as it had a weak point in one limb with very very deep chrysals. Well the same area was still a tad weak and the chrysals were reappearing, they hadn't gone right through the repair patch yet so maybe a shallower patch may do the job, I'll try to leave it a little thicker this time, but that's surprisingly hard to do without creating a weak point either end of the patch.

He was then showing someone the Boo Yew primitive style heavy bow to demonstrate it's performance and shape when I noticed a crack on the boo backing. I've pretty much always touted boo' as being bomb proof, so this was a shock to me... mind TBF it is a 120# bow.
The bow had some previous repair work where the grip was starting to crack. And this shows when it was first being shot.
It's an interesting repair job and it's good to tackle new stuff. The best and obvious repair would be to strip off the whole back and re-back it. However it's interesting to look at the anatomy of the crack, I've noticed the fibres peel up to the node, so I'm hoping to inlay a narrow strip of boo running from the noe almost to the tip, with it fading out at either end. If this fails I'll strip off the whole back and re-do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment