Monday 24 August 2020

Horn Bow Braced

 

I've got the horn bow braced and made a string from B55 which is horrid stretchy stuff, but necessary for horn bows with the high brace force to avoid breaking the nocks. Karpowicz tried lots of different ways to reinforce the nocks but they all failed with fastflite strings (or the strings broke). He actually specifies B50, but B55 is B50 with a thinner strand apparently. Anyhow to be sure I made a B55 string for one of my flight bows and, yes it stretched like mad, so it is
definitely not fastflite. 
The bow seems pretty well made with one limb being just a whisker weaker and a slight hint of twist at one tip. These minor issues can probably be corrected with pressure.
I haven't managed a decent draw, but I pulled it close to the point where the string lifts away from the levers, so hopefully, I should be able to manage it. The high initial draw weight feels rather brutal though.
here's a link to the video:- 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjv8rfdCSTE

No comments:

Post a Comment