Thursday 23 June 2022

Yew Crossbow Prod

I had a guy from Holland contact me interested in a Yew crossbow prod so I've been looking at my Yew and I have several staves/billets that might be suitable.



I'm thinking a reasonable starting point might be about 36-40" long 12-13" draw length 100-120 pound draw weight ? 
I've started roughing one out to get an idea of what is required. It's rather an undulating stave and has a couple of knots on the belly that will need filling, but it's fine for a try out. I'll steam in some deflex, that will allow a longer draw length.
Wooden crossbow prods are a bit problematic as to get a decent high poundage and draw length you end up needing a rather long and unwieldy prod. Adding in deflex allows some extra draw length from a shorther prod. Without that you can end up with a very short power stroke and disappointing performance. The slight upward curve in the prod is to help get the tips up level with the track on which the bolt runs, this avoids too much downward string pressure and friction which looses power and wears the string.

There are several other posts on this blog about crossbows which go into some depth.
https://bowyersdiary.blogspot.com/2011/10/graingram-scales.html

https://bowyersdiary.blogspot.com/2011/10/detail-pics.html

No comments:

Post a Comment