Thursday 23 February 2012

Wood Wasps and Stuff

I don't know exactly what creature has caused the damege, but I think if I can find any billets with no visible damage they should be ok.
The grubs munch about in the sapwood but eventually exit as a mature wasp (or whatever) by eating out to the surface.
Thus if there are no holes at all visible on the edges or surface then there were no grubs in there, (unless they are still in there and not come out).
It's a risk I'm willing to take, so I shall examine all the wood with great care and then build a bow from a pair of clean billets.

It's our end of month 3D shoot on Sunday so I'm practicing in the garage, just a few shots now and then, sometimes just one shot if I hit the spot first time. No point carrying on until I miss! I don't want to practice missing, always finish on a high.

I'll do some more to the miniature, doing tiny horn nocks should be interesting, but stringing and drawing the bow will be a bit nerve wracking.
I s'pose I should say what I'm aiming for?
It's about 35" long, so that's about 1/2 scale in linear terms but in terms of volume and mass it's about 1/8th so I'd expect the draw weigh to be down by a factor of 8 (remember stiffness of a beam is proportional to the cube of the thickness).
Let's say if it was full size it would be 48 pounds at 28". Then to scale I s'pose it should be about 6 pounds at 14" .
I don't expect my physics or maths is actually right, but it's good to have some sort of idea what I'm aiming for.

No comments:

Post a Comment