Tuesday, 13 January 2015
Back Patch for a Friend
He shoots warbow mostly but brought along his old Bickerstaffe which he'd overdrawn and it had a crack/splinter raised on the Hickory back. They wanted £100 to put a new back on, which is pretty reasonable, but I said I'd do him a back patch while he waited as I happened to have some of a Hickory backing strip left over !
Well it was glued on and strapped up while he waited and we chatted.
This evening I took off the rubber strapping and cleaned it up... I haven't shot it yet though!
You'll have to look closely to see where the patch is. It doesn't quite extend full width or full depth, as it's good to maintain some continuity of the original back. But I took care to make sure I'd rasped down past the depth of the crack.
Note:- The superglue bottle is there as I used the low viscosity superglue to help show up the crack, it soaks in and you can see it better. I used my usual Resintite for gluing the patch.
I also cut some more Hazel at lunchtime from along the cycle track behind the factories where I work. I'll get it roughed out for thickness with plenty of spare width and see if I can get it seasoned in a couple of months.
I'm on a roll this evening so I put a coarse blade on the bandsaw and ran the Hazel through it. Gorgeous clean white wood... no nasty streaks of grey. I sealed the ends with PVA, did the Yew limb too. I'll probably leave the hazel for a week or two up on my shelves, but I might open up above the back door of the garage to get more air through. After a week or so I might bring it indoors or see about some heat/forced draught and maybe strap it to a former... who knows. Good to be getting back on track as the Hazel warbow had fired my imagination.