Tuesday 24 July 2018

Tinkering with stuff

I'm afraid I've had a spell of clicking "Buy" on E-Bay! Bought some more clamps that open up to a full 6" only £5.35 each. Bought a jeweller's loupe with x10 and x20 magnification so I can see the tips of my lathe tool... blimey it needs sharpening the tip looks like the corner of a battered old brick, a quick touch up with an oil stone and it looks much better.
I ordered some milling bits and an x-y table to go under the pillar drill (drill press) that will allow me to do some light milling of Ali' and wood for the ongoing crossbow project.

The milling Ali' thing kicked off when I modified the upper blade guide of the bandsaw to give me some extra room for cutting thick stuff. I put a rotary rasp bit in the pillar drill and fed the Ali' extrusion carefully against it to enlarge a slot down to the black line in the pic. That allows me to raise the blade guide up about another inch.

Meanwhile back at the bows, I've had a couple of people get in touch, my cousin is asking about a bow for his adult son who is getting into archery, who will be phoning me some time.
My nephew will be visiting in a few weeks with his kids and I don't have any bows light enough for kids... I found this out a while back when my niece was over with her son.
Anyhow to rectify this oversight I'm making a Bhutanese style bamboo bow light enough for kids even down to 9yrs old or so.
It's 49" nock to nock and about 6# @ 20"


No comments:

Post a Comment