Saturday 13 April 2019

Boyton Bow Repair Completed

I completed the repair on Piers' Chris Boyton bow, the patch extended well under the grip which then had to be rebuilt.
I used a piece of cork sanding block to rebuild the cork grip, it shaped nicely on the belt sander, but the first attempt snatched out of my hand, jammed down the back of the belt sander dancing about as it got ground down to nothing and swallowed! The trusty UHU glue worked well on the cork and leather. A bit of brown boot polish brought the grip back to a lovely finish.
I gave the bow a good flexing on the tiller and  the patch seemed good and sound.
Piers came over to collect it this morning and brought some Easter eggs for Mr Hare, he had a few shots with the bow and was delighted to have it shooting again.

I've done a bit more steaming on Jeff's stave and glued the bamboo back on my mkII Boo/Yew 50# flight bow. Plenty to keep me busy. I may get to shoot the Hickory flight bow against the mkI Boo/Yew tomorrow weather permitting.

On his way out Piers spotted the missing nock from the exploded warbow... a mystery solved.

PS:- Picture of the bow before repair here:- https://bowyersdiary.blogspot.com/2019/04/busy-time.html

No comments:

Post a Comment