Thursday 11 April 2019

Tired Warbow Result etc



I didn't feel like making a string for the rebuilt warbow, so I waited until my make JT came over so we could test it further on an adjustable sting.

We strung it at full brace, well, he strung it and could feel the power of it.
Partially drawing it he could feel the early weight, said it felt like  about 140# and fancied trying it as a flight bow!

I didn't want to risk it exploding in his face, so we put it on the tiller.... same as before 90# at 24" ... 100# at 26" ...and bang on 28"...
...it went BANG!
Absolutely exploded into shards!
Examining it, the dreaded blue/black discolouration was visible along most of where it split. It had withstood a bit over 100# before, but the bow had about 1" off each end where the nocks were removed. The belly being heat treated and the slight reflex added was also putting a huge extra strain on the back, which just couldn't take it. Once the back gave way the stress just shredded the rest of the bow.
The good thing is that the glue line didn't give way at all.

JT had provided the old worn out bow and I'd put in the work, it was an interesting experiment, and tends to confirm my view that for heavy bows or highly stressed ones , you want a perfect back.
(I have no idea where the other nock ended up!)

Meanwhile I've done the basic repair on the Chris Boyton bow, the patch is glued now. It needs blending in and the handle/grip rebuilding.
There was a lot of work getting a sliver of single growth ring Ash, I ended up sawing a 1/2" slice off the edge of a huge 1/4 log which was at the bottom of my stash of logs.

JT was using my lathe to turn up some antler points to go on the end of blunt arrow heads. While he was doing that I did some preparation of the bamboo back for the mkII Boo Yew 50# flight bow. Then once JT had gone (and I'd had my cat nap!) I set up Jeff's bow to steam out some twist from one end and also pull that end into line. There is a longitudinal crack in the sapwood at that end, and there was no point gluing it until I'd done the steaming. I'll unclamp it last thing tonight and see how it looks in the morning, leaving it to thoroughly settle before gluing the crack.

It's hard to see what's going on with the steaming! There I a length of square plastic drain pipe acting as a steam chest over the end of the bow. My wooden bow spanner is twisting the tip anticlockwise, (the end being held down in tension by some rubber strapping tied to a log) the vertical piece of timber under the tip of the bow is there to stop the tip being pulled down too much.

2 comments:

  1. That's got to be a record for the number of pieces. 13 or 14 counting the missing nock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if that was all of it! It would have been interesting to have seen how it worked with a boo back.
    Of course it knocked the scale out of kilter, so that needs stripping down and fixing :-(

    ReplyDelete