Monday 29 April 2019

Yew Bow Detail & a Glue Up

I got Jeff's Yew bow finished, the drying crack in the back looks rather horrifying, but other parts look lovely, it has some nice character. Unfortunately Jeff can't shoot it yet as he's getting over a accident and his wrist is still weak, but I shot a few arrow through it for him to see when it was collected.

I've been making the mk5 50# ELB flight bow too!
One reason I'm pressing on with yet another bow is that I can't quite finish the previous one as I can't determine which of my scale is correct. It would be easy to assume the digital one is right, but that's not necessarily so. What I've decided to do is to buy 2 x 10kg weights, I can then take these into the factory where I used to work and get them weighed on some trade approved scales to calibrate them. I'll mark them up and use them as my reference weights. The problem is they haven't arrived yet (inset your own joke about ordering a long weight here)
I had some scraps of Ipe about 30" long so I spliced in a 4" section using scarf joints to make a full length belly for a Boo, Yew, Ipe bow.
I like to use up odd and ends for experimentation. This bow is slightly shorter than the other Boo, Yew flight bows, I took rough limb thickness dimensions at mid limb from the other bows as a guide so that it would be somewhere near the right weight after glue up.
The pic shows it with half the clamps removed after an overnight curing time. Note, I used some rubber strapping as well where the nodes of the bamboo back were making it reluctant to clamp down.
Now it's glued up, I've added a 7" riser/grip piece glued to the belly overlapping the scarf jointed centre section to give a
very secure join.

1 comment:

  1. As an (ex) electronics engineer, it's good to see someone taking accurate calibration seriously :)

    ReplyDelete