Monday 6 May 2019

A long Wait

My weights still haven't turned up, and Monday is a bank holiday, so even if they do arrive I won't be able to get them accurately weighed until Tuesday... hmmm I'm bored... but not for long!
I put JTs knotty hugely reflexed Austrian yew stave back in the steam and got it much straighter. I filled the steamer to the max and left it to run dry and switch itself off so the stave probably had about an hour. I clamped it up in situ once the steam had been going for about 20mins and left it clamped up over night. It looked very good this morning and it will be interesting to see if the reflex creeps back again like it did last time.
Hmmm, at a loose end again, and then I remembered the crossbow project! That's been on hold for a couple of months now, so I dug out the laminations and epoxy and got the first limb glued up.
the epoxy is from Easy Composites and it will be interesting to see how it performs.
The epoxy has a 2 hour pot life and takes 20-30 hours to cure.
There's always something to tinker with.

Pic shows the knotty Yew stave and one of the troublesome knots... maybe it will never become a bow, but persevering is character forming!

No comments:

Post a Comment