Tuesday 30 July 2019

Another one Bites the Dust.



The character warbow exploded spectacularly... I'd done a lot of work too ... oh bugger.
I'd taken out the deflex and heat treated the belly, I also patched the missing timber from where the original sawing of the log had chamfered out a bit on the belly side of the grip.

Doing an autopsy, it showed that the big belly knot that I filled was in fact 3 knots! There was a central knot and a smaller one either side, which I'd thought were just small inclusions of bark. The black line round the two knots would have had little compressive strength and probably just collapsed. Alternatively the big dip in the sapwood could have been the weak point and maybe that just snapped...  I did get it on video, but it is so fast that, it would need a high speed camera to actually see it.
https://youtu.be/-8lZBCmuWXI

1 comment:

  1. That's a real shame.
    I have to say, though, I'm very impressed by your linguistic restraint! You have far more self-control than I would have in a similar situation :-)

    ReplyDelete