Friday 12 July 2019

Pacific Yew Warbow

The warbow is coming along, but just a day using the drawknife off and on has got my shoulders and elbows aching. It's odd, I thought all the work on the pergola had me nicely loosened up... it just takes a slightly different action and you really feel it...
The stave looked perfect with a nice even layer of sapwood, but once I had it roughed out and started working it down, it became obvious that the sapwood was too thick ( 1/2 " ) and I've taken it down with a spokeshave, leaving it full thickness in the middle to provide a little extra thickness to allow for a weird dip at that point.
I've got it flexing about to brace height, but I can't actually brace it and I'll have to resort to the winch.
I like to get them braced early as it helps to show the curve of the limbs. I see quite a lot of posts on Facebook and the like where people as how the tiller is looking on a bow but it isn't really flexing at all.
Here's some video of it flexing and a pic of it at about 110# ... whoops , it's only supposed to be 100#, but as it's not braced yet, that doesn't make any real difference.
https://youtu.be/u0LlbYdiYH8

I've since removed a little more wood and managed to get it to a low brace of 3.5" , by pulling it on the tiller using a stringer and the 2:1 advantage of the pulleys on the tiller rig, just managing to slip the string on.
I then pulled it to 100# @21" and I won't pull it over 100# now it's braced.

The tiller set up was squeaking annoyingly and the needle on the scale was jumping about. I noticed the scale was rubbing on the wooden rule as it moved up and down so I've added a wooden block to space the rope away from the wall (glued to the wall with some rapid epoxy) to keep everything running straight and parallel. I also lubricated the pulleys and the scale mechanism... it all runs beautifully smooth now.
A bit of maintenance makes everything so much nicer to use and it's much easier to read the draw weight and length now.

No comments:

Post a Comment