Monday 1 July 2019

Flight Testing and Pagoda


I've got 2 flight bows done for my mate JT's outing to the ILAA Mary Rose 2 day shoot at the weekend.
One is a self Yew bow that has a hint of deflex and its a tad longer than the other, which is Ash backed.

 The first, named "Smooth-Hound" 'cos it it smooth rather than 'cos it's a dog! Should, in theory, nicely match a heavier arrow and a longer draw.
While the Ash backed which may get named at some point will be for flight arrows at a max of about 29-30"

We gave them a try out on Sunday both at a slightly short draw, the Ash backed sent two of the four arrows over 300 yards, this gave us some idea which were the best arrows and draw length (about 30" arrow at about 400 grain). Of course there were many variables like the warming up and confidence factor which could be contributing to the results, but none the less, the results did tie in with some previous observations and we could certainly rule out the 27" arrows as too short and flirty.
Smooth-hound performed roughly in line with other bows but was under drawn and into a slight head wind. It out performed a fresh but heavy warbow that couldn't be pulled to full draw... so that will get maybe 5# taken off it.
I'm making another flight arrow (maybe 2) roughly in line with the best one tested, but at the correct length (30.5 rather than 32")
There's a short clip of Smooth-hound being tested in the garden last week here:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oitQeEq5r_A



Meanwhile back at the Pagoda... I've got the rubber on the roof... it was a bit wobbly up there and a nightmare wrestling roses and adhesive which seems to never dry and gets everywhere! My better half opined that I should do the posts first to make it sound and solid, but I wanted to get the roof done to help keep the deck dry, and I also wanted to do it while I had a flat deck to work from...

Anyhow, she was right...ish ;-) 'cos when I took up the decking I was shocked to find the 4" square Oak posts had rotted virtually all the way through and the whole structure was held in place mostly by gravity. Mind, it has to be said gravity is pretty reliable!
I'm sure you can imagine, I got some teasing and raised eyebrows... I didn't get where I am today wasting time planning!
I'm sawing the bottoms off the posts (no...not all at once ;-) ) and fitting steel supports which will be concreted in. The supports will be round the back of the posts so they won't spoil the look of it.
In the pics, the front left leg has been sawn off and is supported on a block of timber. The steel bracket and the sawn off foot is lying on the block.
Note the distortion in the picture... the verticals are all parallel (or near as dammit)... the camera doesn't always tell the truth, worth noting when looking at the tiller of bows.

PS. Update 27/6/2022. JT shot a PB of 361 yards with smooth hound (gusty wind). Dimensions of Smooth Hound 66" nock to nock. 1 1/16" wide at the grip (almost square).

2 comments:

  1. Hi Derek,
    I have a friend nearby (here in the Los Angeles area) who does competition flight shooting. I'm interested in more info about the flight arrows you make. What is the shaft material, how heavy are the heads, how long/high are the flethces?
    Thanks!
    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, The competitions and classes I shoot only allow wooden arrows with feather shafts.
    I use Cedar or pine, I just buy the heavies spine I can get in 5/16" or 11/32".There is more detail on this post:-
    https://bowyersdiary.blogspot.com/2018/03/new-pb-for-distance.html
    The points vary from about 25grain to about 70grain depending on the bow

    ReplyDelete