Saturday 3 August 2019

The Best laid Plans...

I had a stave that looked quite promising for a warbow, it's rather narrow, deflexed and from a fairly small log.
The sapwood looked rather thick on the sides and from the end, so I ran it through the band saw just removing a thin slice to be safe leaving about 5/16" visible on each side... ah, but there was heartwood now visible in places down the centre... drat, not so safe then?!.
Oh well, maybe I'll just back it with some of the 1/4 sawn Ash. Then I had a cunning idea, if I use the stave the other way round the deflex becomes reflex and I can glue it up with just a hint of reflex and the Yew under some compression for early draw weight.
On closer inspection, all the deflex.. (well now it's reflex :-)  ) is in one end of the stave and it's about 4"with the other limb being straight... now if I heat treat the belly (which is actually the side with hints of sapwood remaining, having trued it up to a fairly even basic taper) I can take some reflex out of one limb and bend some into the other, giving each limb about and inch of reflex and some heat treatment on the belly.

Well, I've got that done, in fact I'd have had it done quicker if the power steering on the car hadn't failed (grrr) it's driveable but hard work. there's a red warning PS on the dash to tell me there's a power steering fault... sheesh... it's bleedin' obvious. Some time later a warning comes up on the nice retro LCD display (it is a 2004 Nissan Micra) saying "Power Steering Fault, go to a Nissan Dealer"
I'd never have guessed if it hadn't told me. On the plus side it will be good for my shoulder strength :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment