Wednesday 11 May 2022

A Couple of Repairs

 I've been busy with gardening and stuff, but I've done a couple of repairs on heavy bows for my mate JT.
One was the boo backed Yew heavy flat bow, which had a couple of previous repairs, the riser/grip cracking and the boo lifting a splinter. One might wonder why I continue to repair a bow like that, the answer in one word is "Learning!" . Any bow will flex slightly in the grip and this had stared to split off the grip (Ash) again. I basically cleaned it up and re glued it, but I had to add a thin slat of Ash to make up where some of the wood had torn out (it hadn't cleanly popped off at the glue line). To strengthen it this time I did a linen binding round the grip, wiped with low viscosity super glue. I've had one respected bowyer opine that a binding achieves nothing... I can only assume he's never had a bone broken and supported with a plaster cast!


The other repair was an old work horse of a Warbow which has a double belly patch, one long patch on to of a shorter one. the long one had started to lift and split at one end. The wood splitting more than the glue line. I cut out the patch, rasped it out a little longer where parent wood had split out and glued in a new patch. I also added a little linen binding over each end of the patch for added security.



Both repairs were posed as video on my Youtube chanel (Del Cat) (the first 2 links are the heavy flat bow)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcMdBDljGNk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2Rkbnr-e4


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQqKFYqs0u8



Both bows were checked on the tiller to 28", although they are for 32" draw. The flat bow has been shot since and performs nicely, it's lost a bit of it's original poundage over the years. Both were about 80# @ 28"

No comments:

Post a Comment