Saturday 1 April 2023

High Tech addition to the H Bow

 Low tech-high tech!

I've made this flight bow ~50# @ 19" draw.

The bow itself is made from a single piece of Yew (38" long), slotted down the middle, steamed and then spread apart to allow the arrow to shoot through the centre. 

The extended grip allows the short draw to be shot from my usual anchor point. 

A brass weight adds stability, helping to avoid the bow tipping forward until the arrow has left the bow.

Elevation is shown by a plywood pendulum with a brass weight. When the bow is at 45 degrees 2  pointers line up just above the flat 'deck'.

The high tech addition is the doppler radar (OEM unit bought online) which measures arrow speed and has some limited tracking capability. Data is transmitted to a phone app that gives velocity, approx' range and position of the arrow which has a thin strip of aluminium foil stuck along the shaft to act as a radar reflector. 

To give a clean loose I've made a mechanical release aid. The pic' shows the finger position when in use. I've had test shots with a leather 'flipper' release but haven't tried the mechanical version with this bow yet. Current best 286 yards...



4 comments:

  1. Nice one, Derek - I particularly like the hi-tech solution for Flying Object Observation & Location...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ta, the radar was just an April 1st spoof... the rest is all genuine, and having heat treated the belly I got 316 yards on Easter Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I figured that (hence the F.O.O.L. acronym 😉) - 316 is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D'oh! the F.O.O.L went over my head... you got me :)

      Delete