Thursday 7 February 2019

Bugger it Blew!

The Yew bow I've been working on was virtually finished when it blew on the tiller. Daft thing is, it had been pulled to 100# before and since I'd increased the brace height and taken off a tad more it had been exercised to 90 several times and had bed strung all day. Tiller looks fine at 90#, yet it subsequently exploded at about 90#. (at 29" draw) I suspect the sapwood had degraded due to being left on the woodland floor for some time before I got it.
The previous bow from this wood (which had a big knot hole near the
grip) suffered the same fate, I wasn't sure if it was the wood, or the knot that caused the problem. The pic was taken from a video that I didn't publish done earlier in the build.

I have a pair of billets from this wood spliced up. I've sawn off the sapwood and will back it with bamboo, 'cos I can get suckered once, I can get suckered twice... but it won't happen the third time :-)

Video here:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNzD0-Me91c

1 comment: