Tuesday 12 February 2019

Yew Backed Yew Finished

I think my suspicions about the sapwood on the previous bow being the cause of it's breaking are confirmed. The new bow had heartwood from the same suspect log, but with different sapwood and has made it back to full draw.
It looks very handsome , if slightly odd, with a straight glue line but an undulating back. The horn nocks turned out to be very pale, so much so, that when a light shines through, you can clearly see the underlying wood, its shape and how far it penetrates into the nock.
I've given the bow a sanding and a first wipe of Danish Oil. The string is made, so it will be ready for
shooting in the morning.
Video of the bow on the tiller for the last time here:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgZ684Nekhc&t=10s

I was up the town the other day and I treated myself to a couple of things for the workshop, a couple of suds brushes, £2 the pair from Wilko, 1 big 1 small, the small one for applying cutting lubricant to the workpiece when using the lathe and the big one for brushing down the lathe afterwards. Got a new calculator from poundland as my old one has digits that are small and fading. Thought I'd try their dual syringe type epoxy too as I've just finished one.

1 comment:

  1. The nock on this is so gorgeous. I need to search trough my horns and check if I can find something similar for the elm bow I am working on right now.

    Cheers Simon

    ReplyDelete