Thursday 28 February 2019

A Good Day at the Office

I received a nice letter this morning from a guy on the primitive Archer forum. There was a thread on there about the movie Dances With Wolves and he mentioned that he'd been asked if he could make the arrow heads for the movie, when he asked how many they wanted, they said 3000!
He got a punch tool made up and the company he worked for donated a reel of steel strip. Anyhow he had plenty left over an sent me one! He stamped out some in silver too that were made up as presentation arrows for some of the cast.
It's just a stamped out blank, but it's the back story that appealed to me and it's a great addition to my collection of curiosities.
 I just love the breadth of experience and generosity that's there on the internet, especially on the Primitive Archer forum.

My mate JT came over for a session in the man cave working on a very knotty bent Yew stave, I pretty much let him get on with while I turned up a new fixing screw for the belt sander, the original had vibrated out, ripped the belt and pinged off into oblivion. (Could have had my eye out!).
The knotty wood and swirling grain was causing some tearing, he switched from drawknife to the farriers rasp after lunch. I stayed away from the Yew dust and had a cat nap.
 After he'd left I cleaned up the glued up billets for the boo/Yew warbow. I ran a straight line down the middle, trimmed it up a bit and cleaned up the face for gluing on the belt sander. I ran a length of bamboo through the bandsaw too, to take off some of the excess thickness. I should get that planed up and glued tomorrow.
(The billets have been glued up to make use of their natural curve to give a nice slight deflex/reflex shape. See pic)


No comments:

Post a Comment