Wednesday 20 February 2019

Buying Stuff

I've been having a bit of a click-fest, got 2 dozen shafts 5/16" 45-50 spine for making flight arrows. A dozen cedar and a dozen pine. Just out of interest I compared them on the kitchen scale and the pine are heavier, so I'll use the cedar for preference assuming, I'll pick out the straightest and stiffest for the flight arrows.
I ordered a bow hand shooting glove with a view to the flight shooting. Its very nice leather and eminently suitable, unfortunately its a tad small and having managed to get it on, I struggled to get it off! I could exchange it, but the postage involved is almost as much as the £5.49 it cost me, so I'll give it to someone at the shoot on Sunday (probably ask for a cuppa and a piece of cake as payment!)
I've ordered the XL size to replace it. I also bought a pair of kevlar gloves which I may use as the base for a hand made bow hand shooting glove by adding thick leather where the arrow will lie and where the hand will need extra protection in the event of arrow failure. I'm sure they'll come in handy for other things too, like splitting logs, pruning and general rough work.

In the workshop I tested the twin syringe epoxy that I got from poundland on a couple of scraps of horn and it is indistinguishable from the usual stuff I get. Talking of horn, a box full arrived that I'd ordered last week, that'll keep me going for a few years.
The other poundland acquisition was a nice chunky calculator which has already proved useful, its got solar cells to to keep it charged, so, no fiddling with batteries, it also has a nice big clear screen and buttons.
All this buying makes me feel a tad guilty spending money on my hobby, but then I got a nice E-mail saying that our solar panels had earned us £158 over the last quarter which is pretty good for the Autumn/Winter... this assuaged my puritanical streak.

I seem to have been doing a lot of videos on Youtube recently and I did one appraising a Yew warbow that one of my friends had bought off the interweb... it has a guest appearance by Emily cat too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoJdKEh6u1o


The flight bow is slowly being inched back and is now just short of the desired draw length at 50#.
I've checked it on my digital scale every 2" of draw up to 24", it gives a very linear force draw graph and interpolates to about 51# @26" (That's 26" measured to the belly of the bow, which is how it's measured for flight if using a 26" arrow).
The extra pound of draw weight gives me a little room for fine tuning the tiller etc.
This video was done just before testing with the digital scale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8poiPe1EMA&t=102s

No comments:

Post a Comment