Saturday 12 May 2012

Primitive Meet 2012

A great day out meeting up with on-line friends and old faces, some of whom I couldn't fit the name to! One exchange ran a bit like this.
Hey Bob, is your Dad here?
My Dad?
Yeah, that guy we shot with last year.
You mean Bob, he's not my Dad.
Are you sure? ( LOL)
There was a great atmosphere and plenty going on. I set up a couple of chairs, a rack for my bows and my tiller rig. I took a few of my unwanted rather twisted staves which I left for anyone who might want them

There were 3 primitive crossbows this time, two made by another Bob! We shot them at the big atl atl* target, so that people could have a go.
There was a group of young girls who had been trying the atl atls, who obviously wanted a go. I offered them a try and the youngest stood up. I hadn't realised how small she was, and I was worried she wouldn't manage it. I carefully explained how to shoot it safely and that with her cheek on the stock and the point of the bolt on the big black spot of the target she should hit it.
Click..thud.
Smack in the middle! Her sisters managed very well too, but she was a natural and kept coming back for more. I was impressed how well they did and how well behaved they were, no pestering or squabbling and they collected the bolts.  She dragged her Mum and Dad along to have a go too.
A young lad had also had ago and I saw him later throwing axes with great skill. One of the youngsters was also getting stuck in preparing rabbits for the pot. Great to see the kids enjoying themselves and joining in with enthusiasm.
One chap had a fine collection of native bows and arrows from around the world, it was great to see them close up and to be able to handle them, very inspiring, last year he'd been there with horn/sinew composites he was making.

There was a table covered in catapults (slingshots) Some were crafted from exotic woods, laminated and riveted. My favourite was like some Art Deco sculpture, you can tell I have exquisite taste, as that one wasn't for sale!
I set up my tiller rig and tinkered with the ridgeback Yew bow but mostly I was strolling about and chatting, all very informal and friendly. I shot round the practice course with Evan, the guy I've been E-mailing and 'Crossbow Bob' who was shooting one of his primitives made of Holly. I shot the new Hazel bow (very badly due to the kick left) Evan shot an Ash Mollegabet which he'd made. We managed to break and loose a few arrows. Later we shot some of the other bows I'd brought along and I had a go with the Mollegabet which thew an arrow with some authority.
I only attended for the one day, but I'm sure the proceedings and competition on the second day will be just as good.
My thanks to Wally the organiser and the people doing the yummy food. Beef burger with a fried egg on top, lemon drizzle cake and a cup of tea, bliss.

Not to mention the strange man try to make dead chickens dance ;)

After some musing about my Hazel bow I've decided to take some of my old arrows which have already lost a point once and waist the shafts to make 'em more flexible. I'll just scaper the shafts down over the centre third, of maybe grip the point in an electric drill and hold some sandpaper round them, I'll try and get them matched up to the bow. It's not something I've done before and it will be interesting to see if all my pontificating is correct and I can get them to fly straight from that bow. The other alternative is to build up the grip in thickness and narrow it to make it more centre shot, I feel that would detract from the whole point of the bow.
I'll report back.

*Atl atl, is like a huge long arrow thrown with a throwing stick.

1 comment:

  1. Del,
    Very good to meet you in person at last! :)

    The Primitive event was fantastic and i'll be back next year and reccomened anyone who has an interest in such things to pop along to the next event.

    Great people, happy to help and full of advice and support.

    It was greast to see so many home-built bows of so many types and woods and i don't think i even saw a English Longbow and not even a whisper of plaastic or aluminium! :)

    The field course was fun and a massive thanks to the chaps from PAAS (Wally) for organising it all!

    Cheers
    Ev

    ReplyDelete