Sunday 17 June 2012

Getting Back to the Bows

Whew, I finished refurbishing the central heating, which of course coincided with some cold weather and the wettest drought on record. I've had to reorganise parts of the garage/workshop too as there is now a big flue coming through the wall right above the work bench.
It looks a bit like something from 'Wallace and Grommit' I half expect to hear a clanking noise and have a mug of tea appear down the flue.
I've still been on the bow making forums and thinking about bows, just haven't touched one for a fortnight.
Anyhow I've been tidying up, looking at my staves and planning what to take on next.
I've a kids Yew longbow roughed out and a real knotty character Yew longbow slightly roughed out.
The Yew billets from the Cascade mountains will need some careful poring over before I decide to use the sap wood and risk any insect damage, or to back with bamboo.
I want to have another go with the Hornbeam too, I've a couple of skinny wobbly staves to play with.
I shall finish cleaning out the garage this afternoon and pick up a stave to work on.
The club was a tempting prospect this morning, but the weather is already getting duller and my shooting fingers are still a bit sore. I was tightening a screw at an awkward angle and felt a shooting pain up the palm as I strained the tendons of my middle finger. Fingers heal pretty quick as they get so much use, but my elbows are a bit sore too. Drilling 110mm holes through the wall is a bit tough, I've still got the bruise on my pec' to show from the drill kicking back!
It's amazing how powerful yet delicate the human hand can be, if you are in doubt just pick up a pair of bathroom scales in both hands and see how hard you can squeeze. I haven't tried it lately but I used to be able to squeeze over my body weight. The mechanics is pretty impressive too, the muscles being up in your forearm. If you hold your arm up in front of you (hand rotated so you look at the back of it) and waggle your fingers you can see all the muscles working and the tendons waggling between hand and the point of your elbow, where they are attached. Which is why the tennis elbow is so easily aggravated.

No comments:

Post a Comment