Saturday 5 January 2013

New Year

It's good to get back to the bows, it's been a long break.
We've taken down the decorations and are trying to get back to normal.
I'm working down that curvy Yew stave, it's rather handsome and I'm still not sure if I'll straighten it or not. I'll wait until it's begining to flex for two reasons.
One, it may well track back perfectly with the tips and centre in line and have a nice degree of character.
Two, any bending will be easier and will stress the wood less if it's been reduced to the point where it flexes.

It almost feels a shame to take it down any more as it would make a stunning warbow, but it's a tad short for that. It's almost fat enough to saw into two bows, but I know that would a recipe for disaster and no bows at all.

I'm really pleased I cut some Yew over the last few months, as I've been told by the doc' I mustn't drive due to a brief blackout about a week ago. I'm counting my blessings as at least it wasn't a stroke and I'm perfectly ok mentally and physically so I can carry on bow making.
They have already booked me in for a CAT scan and various tests so the wheels of the NHS are in motion.
It's an ill wind that blows nobody some good...
I've dug out my old bicycle and got it running. Maybe I'll end up fitter and healthier. Ah, the long forgotten joys of mending punctures and fitting new tyres onto rims.
Not the most auspicious start to 2013, but now I'm on my bike, hopefully it's all downhill from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment