The yew heartwood primitive I made just didn't want to be a bow. the back patch I did was a bit half hearted and the rawhide backing was more in hope than expectation.
So... I decided to destruction test it.
It showed up a few things, the glue line on the patch failed probably due to it being too short and not very well fitted, long and shallow is best for patches. It also showed that the rawhide may have held off the failure but it didn't stop the explosion.
Anyhow, see for yourselves! Video in slo' mo'
The two limbs are still pretty sound so I may try to make 'em into mini bows... there is a mini bow challenge on Primitive Archer, maximum bow length 24", could be fun.