Friday 21 September 2018

Damn it Exploded!

I'd fitted horn side nocks nocks and carefully videoed it pulling to 110#.
It looked a little stiff in the right (upper ) limb, so I eased that a tad, put it on the tiller for a quick look, which looked good, so I took it to 120# at which point it exploded.
It didn't go at the big knot, but maybe I'd left that a tad stiff?
I can't tell where the break started, possibly (but unlikely) at the side nock, anyhow I'm not a fan of side nocks and I can see no merit in them other than authenticity so I probably won't make 'em again, simply not worth the risk... of course some people will say they are fine and if it failed it was my fault... but why risk it? I know I can make 'em, but they are just a poor design, which is probably why they fell out of favour. A conventional nock doesn't cut into the wood at all, where the side nock does.

On the plus side, at least I hadn't wasted time making a decent string for it.

I did get a win the other day though, I bought a nice 10 draw cabinet off E-bay only £12.50, perfect for tools. I've got my small files in the top draw, big files below that, then rasps... much more convenient.

I did an autopsy on the horn nock, and in fact the string groove barely touches the wood (indicated by yellow arrow) and the split doesn't go as far as that point. So I don't think I can blame the side nock






Update:- I have another stave from the same tree, it has a poor heart/sap boundary and some ambiguous wood (is it heart is it sap?) I can't decide if I should have another try, to see if it is just dodgy wood or save that for a lighter poundage bow.
I've got the crossbow project waiting for my attention too. It would prob' be a mistake to jump into anything so I'll probably have a quiet day until I can't hold back any longer (that'll be about an hour then ;-) )

Update 3/5/2019:-
Another bow from the same batch of timber also exploded, so I'm pretty convinced it is the sapwood. This was confirmed by making a third bow with the sapwood stripped off and replaced with clean Yew sapwood that I had in my stash, it turned out fine... well better than fine, it was glorious :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment