Monday 17 September 2018

Sorting the Man Cave

Since I've got the mini mill I have found I just don't have enough space. I wanted to reinstate the pillar drill as it has a bigger chuck capacity and longer throw than the mill. It's also handy to have both, the mill can have a collet chuck fitted for milling and the drill can have a 3 jaw chuck.
Anyhow I cut back the racking at the far end of the garage, throwing away vast loads of stuff that hasn't been used for over 20 years, like car ramps that you can't actually driver a modern car onto ('cos the bumpers are too low these days). I remade the racking about a foot shallower and a few inches narrower, added some shelves and it's vastly better now. I trimmed half an inch of the height and width of my apple scratter so that fits in better (no cider making this year as the harvest round here has been V poor). I added an extra 9 1/2" to the end of the bench to mount the pillar drill and wired in a new pair of power points behind it.
I sorted all my stock of sheet material, pipes/poles/rod/tube etc and the wood corner. Whilst I was at it I sealed the concrete floor with PVA to help keep the dust down. Also added a row of pegs to stop my various laminations and boo poles from slithering about, it also lets me hang up the shooting machine which is a rather ungainly beast.
It was a bigger task than I anticipated, but having started I felt I might as well do a thorough job, which is still somewhat ongoing as I work slowly along to the other end.
All in all I've got a much cleaner tidier garage and a bit more floor space, ready for the next project which is going to be a warbow with a dirty great knot at the grip. Mind having said that the materials for the ongoing crossbow project have just arrived, but as that's a longer term project it can wait another couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment