Saturday 29 September 2018

Crossbow Prod Mount

The prod and mount is coming along nicely, my little mill is proving very useful and it's also good to still have the pillar drill on the other end of the workbench.
I'm getting it built up slowly, it will obviously have the corners rounded , decent hex head bolts, chunky washers, rubber wear strips etc, but the pics give the general idea. There will also be vertical angle bracing to the side of the stock, so plenty to do yet.
The prod is maybe a tad long at the moment, but it's been made such that the limbs can be shortened at the mounting end by about 1/2" an new holes drilled, if I want to shorten the bow and increase the draw weight a tad. Conversely, if I want to reduce the draw weight I can machine wedges to go between the mount and the limb to angle them into a slight deflex position. Having individual limbs gives a lot more room for manoeuvre, it also makes it a bit simpler to get matched limbs.

I might have it all mounted up by the end of the day, but I haven't cut nocks in the limbs yet, they will require some thought as I don't want them splitting. I'll probably add a little sliver of wood to the back to allow a nice rounded shape and also bind some carbon fibre and epoxy round for security. There is also the issue of string catchers/buffers.

2 comments: