Sunday 23 September 2018

Onwards and Upwards

I was a bit miffed that the monster warbow exploded, but I had my suspicions about the wood as there was a good deal of discolouration between heart and sapwood also some areas that were neither one thing nor the other. I do wish more people understood how to season wood. Get it off the ground, somewhere dry and airy and don't drape a tarpaulin over it. I'd paid reasonable cash for the Yew and spent a deal of time collecting and sawing it up... but hey ho, I get given some too.
I took down another stave from that same tree and reduced the sapwood and roughed it out. Not enough width for a warbow and with the slightly suspect timber, I'll use it for a 50# bow.

While I was rummaging through the staves, I had a look at the Elder I cut in December 2016 and roughed that out, removing the bark and sawing away the belly side. It's got the makings of a nice bow, and I may add little levers like on Monkey bow.
I didn't want to rush into too much work, so it's good to rough out a couple of bows so that when I'm in the mood I can pick them up and get onto the fun bits. It also allows me to ponder the possibilities at my leisure.
I've started doing a dry run jigging up the crossbow prod limbs ready for glue up. Preparation is the key with any glue up, so I'm taking it slow, especially as it's stonking down with rain, more conducive to armchair bowmaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment