Monday 15 October 2018

Finished Crossbow Prod Mount


The mount is finished and it's holding the prod very securely, there is sheet rubber beneath the limbs and elsewhere too. I've removed the shim of 3 ply from under the stock to get the string sitting just a whisker above the track. (see pic)

I think it looks a tad Brutalist with maybe a hint of Art Deco. I might round some corners and remove some excess metal later to improve the aesthetics.
With the masking tape removed, the limbs look rather handsome with the Maple showing through the clear glass.
I took a quick full draw shot...
I'm not entirely happy with it as it is working hardest mid limb, but the outers are flexing. I could maybe take a few mm off the underside of the last 6", tricky to see with out a decent comparison with the unstrung shape.
The close up of the nock shows the construction. There is a wedge of maple adding thickness to the wooden core, a horn piece is overlaid over the glass backing, this is then recessed slightly and bound with carbon fibre/epoxy to minimise the risk of the string splitting down the nock. These are lessons leaned from earlier prods.

I haven't actually measured the poundage at full draw (it's difficult to set it up for such a measurement) and measuring it won't actually effect the reality! It's relatively comfortable to draw, so my guess is about 100# or a tad over, it certainly seems to have decent speed vs draw weight. (255 fps at last measurement)
I'll have to try it through the chrono' again later, as the improved rigidity may have given it another couple of fps, mind I might not get round to it as I have a cold and may retire to my bed!
Update:- Just tested it 258.5 fps :-)
And here's the unstrung pic for comparison.
I've combined the 2 pics here:-





No comments:

Post a Comment