Thursday 18 October 2018

Tarting Up and Sighting In


I've had a cold all week, (just about gone now) but manged to do some tarting up of the crossbow prod mount yesterday, adding some nice curves, done on the milling machine as a series of overlapping holes and cleaned up on the belt sander.

I got the tele' sight back on it this afternoon and did some sighting up. First thing I noticed, it was shooting high at 10 yards, being faster than the previous wood/boo prods, and I had to modify the adjustable mount to elevate it a tad.
I got that sorted and was about to quit but I realised I had good opportunity to sight it at 20 yards diagonally across the garden as the missus was out ;-) and the cat was asleep indoors.
I adjusted the sight a bit by guess work and the first bolt was scarily close to the top of the boss, whoop! I set it back a bit and the next shot hit the 2" square of paper I was aiming at, I quit while I was ahead.
My son was around so he had a try out at 10 yards, it was tricky for him to hold, as he has balance problems being in a wheelchair. The feedback I got confirmed that the trigger pull was rather heavy, so that will need some work.

The whole thing is an ongoing project, an maybe I'll start on a decent stock for it some time (I have the wood), as at the moment the comb isn't high enough to be comfortable with the tele' sight and it's ugly!

It feels very smooth to cock, heavy early on, but doesn't seem to get stupidly heavy as you pull back. When shot, it rings a bit and there's some recoil, but I think the string is over twisted, making it a tad springy and the brace height needs finalising. A lower brace gives a longer power stroke but can put extra stress on the limbs. I may even try making string buffers (I'm thinking rubber bungs on ali' pillars).
Anyhow, plenty to tinker with, but trigger pull first, then sight it up at some longer ranges (maybe Sunday) and eventually some field shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment