Tuesday 2 October 2018

Prod Tweaking Progress


I got the prod mounted, but it's almost impossible to brace. I got a string on as tight as I could and videoed it to see how it was moving.
It looked a bit stiff at the inner area where the limbs thicken up, but rather than jump in and remove material from the bow I've made up a couple of wooden wedges which fit between the limbs and the mounting, effectively angling them back towards the archer as if deflexed by about an inch and a half. That doesn't seem like much but it allows me to get a taut string onto it at a low brace and it look promising.
It's difficult to quantify the effect, but string movement (draw) on a braced bow, is about 3 times the tip movement, so it's quite significant. Bear in mind a crossbow is high poundage short draw so, say 120# at 12" draw is going to be 10# per inch of draw, so angling the bow back may have taken 45# off the draw weight!
So, it may be that the final arrangement is a smaller wedge.

I spent a deal of time making some stringer brackets, but they tended to slip along the limbs. I'll probably make some more like the ones I made for the 275# steel prod on my repro' medieval light sporting bow which can bee seen in this post unfortunately those clamps are won't quite fit on these limbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment