Tuesday 12 March 2019

A Bit of a Change

I seem to have been making bows at a break neck pace this year and I'm in need of a change. I want to test the flight bow, but it's too windy, the crossbow project is at a bit of a lull.

Ages ago I saw a lovely carved hare with jointed limbs on Bargain Hunt.... ah the joys of retirement and lunchtime TV. Gotta make one of of those I thought!
Well I have some chunks of cherry which are suitable, so I just jumped in doing it all by eye just for the fun of it. I roughed it out freehand on the bandsaw and than progressed with chisels and rasps, it's difficult to work on as it rather large and difficult to clamp steady. It will just about hold in the bench vice. The cherry is funny stuff, cuts really nice and smooth, but can split or tear. It should look nice when polished.
The eye is turned from a piece of dark wood, might be walnut...
Hopefully it'll end up being a fun piece that might sit on the table in the summer house, something for children who visit to find as they explore.
It's nice to have something to tinker with that doesn't have any sort of deadlines attached to it.
Maybe I'll pick up the crossbow, or a bit of elder that was cut last year, in the mean time I can potter along with the hare, mind I'm already wishing the ears were bigger, but I can reduce the head and body a bit to suit.

1 comment:

  1. "but I can reduce the head and body a bit to suit"
    Once a bowyer...
    Looks great Derek!

    ReplyDelete