Friday 22 March 2019

Random Ramblings

Lots of odds n ends have happened.
I was checking an old bow from 2011, the first Osage bow I ever made to see if it was a suitable weight to lend out to someone wanting to try field archery. The bandsaw was in the way of the tiller and rather than move it, I kept one hand on the bow, bend down to look at the scale and heave on the rope... about 40# .. pull again.... 45 at 28"...  BANG being Osage it broke into nasty splinters and one contrived to give a nasty cut on my finger.
I was a bit miffed and realised it was silly to make a primitive for someone who might not like field. I had a shufti on line and found perfectly good Flat Bows starting at just over £90 in 5# increments from 35# to 50#. Just the job, perfect for field, faster and cheaper than I could make with no waiting time. I sent him a link, which he was pleased with.

I've been making more flight arrows and getting in a bit of a muddle, so I made a new storage box from odd bits of ply and pine that I had lying around. It has compartments for length 24, 26, 28, 30 & 32" arrows. I sorted out my other arrows and shafts too, so I can now see the wood for the trees. I may need to sub divide it for 1" increments... I think flight arrows could easily become a life's work!

Been buying stuff online too, I got some carving chisels, a set of 12 Clarke ones, with a small set of 6 and two others as a job lot. They seem to be pretty good and I've been watching Youtube vids on chisel sharpening, as the curved and V ones are a bit tricky to sharpen. That then led me on to making a strop for honing the edges. It's one of those things I've been meaning to get round to for ages, easy enough to make with an off cut of MDF (which is flat and stable) and some leather from an old sofa that I rescued as it was going to the council tip (it was a hideous colour, so no good for bow grips). I glued the leather down with UHU glue and gently rolled it down with a length of steel bar (rolling pin would do) to remove any air bubbles. I've bought some green honing compound (E-bay) to load up the leather but it's not arrived yet. There is some discussion on line about which side of the leather to have upper most. Consensus is either works and the flesh side hold the compound better for a coarser compound, smooth side for really fine finish. I'll let you know how I get on.
(The strop is in the top pic, the block with the pinkish leather on it just above the box of small chisels. It's 8" x 3" so it's big enough to do a plane blade).
The chisels are really for the Hare project and other potential work, also for other family members to use. The Hare is coming along nicely with the limbs all roughly made but not fitted yet, I'll be able to start working on the detail soon and deciding on the degree of articulation I want, simple pivots or a hint of a ball joint for a bit more movement?

The bow making it taking a back seat at the mo' having made a few pretty rapidly, although I have had some enquiries. Someone has asked for a laminate, I suggested Boo/Yew but for some reason totally beyond me they don't want Yew on the belly??? It seems a bit like wanting to put tractor wheels on a sports car, but I may do something eventually if some suitable exotic wood turns up... maybe Boo/Yew/Ipe.
I only do stuff when I feel like or am inspired (or the missus asks me ;-) )

No comments:

Post a Comment