Sunday 17 March 2019

Flight Arrow Testing

I finally got out to do some testing, a bit too windy really and 2 out of my 3 arrows snapped, the side wind didn't help as it took the back end sideways as the point stuck in the mud.
Originally I was only going to take my two new 26" flight arrows, but at the last minute I grabbed a 28" one which I knew performed well. The shooting machine was set to loose at about 25.5", but it was nearer 25".
The big shock was that the heavier longer arrow consistently flew about 40 yards further! I shall have a re-think!
Ah... I was jumping to conclusions! When I checked the weight, the longer fatter arrow is in fact 8 grains lighter and has slightly lower profile fletchings! I should mention it's also painted luminous yellow.
I've done the arithmetic and if I make a fat, yellow arrow that weighs nothing, it should go 1,500 yards :-)

I took video, not great quality, but it shows they are coming away from the bow quite nicely. It's hard to get a longer shot which would show how quickly they stabilise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pWBvcecdwM

I think the shafts I have are OK,.
I'll keep the remaining, unbroken 26" one as a reference and do some more testing.

Meanwhile the wooden hare is coming along, I have his front legs done and a try out rear leg made from thin ply.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Del...
    Nice video! It looks like arrow 2 flexed a lot less, so perhaps less energy was lost in bending the arrow leaving more available to throw it downrange ...?
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, they look V similar to me? Really needs better video, but this is what makes it interesting, so many variables to tinker with.

    ReplyDelete