Saturday 26 March 2011

Heat Straightening/Bending Jig

This is the jig I use for straightening up bows. (If I'm bending sharp recurve at the tips I'd use a curved former). It's just two bits of 4"x2" screwed and glued together with holes drilled in an ad hoc basis to provide positioning/holding. Scraps of wood are placed uder the bow and its gently pulled down into position. You can see the wet looking area where the linseed oil and heat was applied. If I remove the bolt at this near end the tip springs back up by an inch or so (originally it was 2 or 3 inches higher). I checked it this morning, but I've put back the bolt and I'll let it sit for a few days. The second pic shows bolts with lengths of hose pipe used to locate the bow and wooden offcuts used as wedges to hold it firm.

No comments:

Post a Comment