Monday 29 December 2014

I'm Messing with Yew

Just started tinkering with stuff again. It's damn cold in the garage, but a few minutes here and there will get some projects finished or up and running.
I have two Yew billets splice together which just aren't right, one billet needs rotating relative to the other else it will end up with a load of twist or sapwood being much too thick along one edge. Fortunately I left the billets nice and long, so I've just sawn across the splice and I'm trimming one of 'em carefully on the band saw to  re-align it and provide a flat belly face that I can use to rest on the bandsaw table when re-cutting the splice.
It sometime feels like a big waste of time re-doing something, but in reality it's far better to recognise when it's not right and do it again. Or at least put it to one side for some further thought rather than pressing on with a job doomed to failure or mediocrity.

S'pose I should do my review of the year, but it's really a no contest!

The big highlight of bow making was the Tennessee Classic. It was brilliant to put faces to names and get a different perspective on bows and just about everything else! Hopefully in 2015 I'll get to use the staves I brought back with me and a pair of nice snake skins which I was given. I'm not a huge fan of snake skins, as snakes are so rare in the UK. But many of 'em in the US are from road kill, snakes are vastly more plentiful there and it was a very generous gift.

Over the year we had a joyous wedding and a sad bereavement but I don't really want to dwell too much on the personal, as we all have our highs and lows.

What is it with Christmas and teeth? I was having a lovely bowl of Turkey soup yesterday (one of my fave' things about Christmas) when one of my crowns popped off! So that's a trip to the Dentist tomorrow... what joy!

Here's to all my friends and acquaintances, some of whom I've had the pleasure of meeting, some have sent me kind messages throughout the year, and some are just fleeting visitors to these pages.
Lets hope some of this will kindle interest in another generation of bowyers.
Wishing you all the best for 2015, may your bows draw sweetly and all your arrows fly true!

No comments:

Post a Comment