Sunday, 30 August 2015

Elm Warbow Virtually There

Yesterday evening and a bit this morning was spent with a scraper taking out the rasp marks ready to get it on the tiller again for a full draw (or near it).
Sitting on the floor of the garage I was struggling to get a long enough pull on the rope as it has a 2:1 advantage (e.g. I have to pull 62" for a 31" draw, but on the plus side, at 100# I only have to pull 50# ).
It needs a bit of cleaning up, the nocks polishing, a decent string and maybe a scrape here and there.
It's back to 110# at just below 31" from a 5" brace, so very close.
All a bit nervy so I strung it for half an hour then got it on the tiller and heaved away at it.
Video here:-
I'll tinker with it today cleaning it up.
Here's the full draw pic, looking pretty good, maybe a hint stiff in outers still, but there is a hint of reflex in the left tip which make it look slightly stiff.

Other pics show the kink and knot in the upper limb.
Note: you can see the Aluminium ring I use to adjust the length of my tillering string.
The bow is braced in all the pics.

Made the string, got it on there and put it on the tiller. I sat on the floor and heaved back and forth on the rope, a bit like a rowing machine. I took it briefly to a bare 32" where it was a shade over 110#.
I'm happy enough with that as the bow seems to have taken very little set. In fact, it's still not returned to the chalk line I made on the garage floor.
Better to have a bow that's a tad lighter but not over stressed than one that's starting to break down, and take set. Of course, that's not to say it won't take a little, but it bodes well. I'm hoping the performance will be as good as it's younger sibling (Dennis Elmbow mk1) that threw an arrow over 300 yards.
Time will tell, and hopefully it will get an outing soon enough. I did plink an arrow from it, but could barely draw it more than a few inches, being keen not to pull a muscle.

1 comment: