Monday 10 April 2017

A Good Couple of Hours Work

My mate Mick the blacksmith came round with a Yew log about 8' long and 8 or 9" diameter, a nice size for splitting and running through the band saw. There were a few big knots at one end on one side, so I thought I'd get 2 staves out of the clean side and the side with the big knots should give 2 matched billets. I ran the circular saw down it to help keep a line through a smallish knot and the split it with my new wedges which I bought of E-Bay a while back. It split nice and clean, the wood looks fairly good but it has a bit of discolouration at the ends in the sapwood, but with plenty of length I think it should be fine. It had been cut a fair while back, but is still very wet inside and has green shoots, so I've just pencilled todays date on it.
There is more where that came from so we'll have to organise a trip to get it, my problem is lack of room to store it, but I know that if I don't get it I'll only regret it in a couple of years time. I don't like to see Yew go to waste and once trimmed up and seasoned it's not so bulky.
I've got it all cleaned up, just needs the ends painting with PVA and storing up on my shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment