Wednesday 29 December 2021

Review of 2021

Been a funny old year, I seem to have done a lot of repairs, blown up a good few bows, made a few and done a fair bit of non bow related work.
The biggest project was the lever bow saga which taught me a lot about the geometry and eventually became a shootable bow, it was rather twitchy and would need carefull checking if I was to shoot it again. Maybe I'll try it with a flight arrow next year. (The project started in March and finished in July, so you can see it was a bit of a saga!)
My biggest disappointment was the gorgeous Yew character ELB that exploded after a couple of hundred shots, that came from a batch of 3 Yew staves which were full of splits.
The year started making a couple of bows from the Walnut I'd cut with my brother the year before, it was all sapwood and rather odd to work as it seasoned in a huge reflex, it made a couple of snappy bows... one of which literally snapped!
One of my successes was a nice 110# Yew warbow from a challenging stave. I think that particular bow will have a fairly easy life as the owner doesn't quite get to that full 31" draw so hopefully it won't explode!

I've done some useful stuff too, re-roofing and insulating the porch, which had been on the to-do list for about 20 years. I'm hoping to do some more much needed maintenance on eth house and garden, but fear not readers, I've already started on a Elm bow, looking for 90# @ 31"
I'll doubtless be posting plenty of youtube videos too.
So here's wishing you all the very best in 2022 and hopefully the horrid pandemic will be slowly burning itself out into some sort of milder but endemic strain and we can all get back to some sort of normality.



No comments:

Post a Comment