Monday 2 August 2021

Yew Character ELB

 


The character Yew ELB is virtually finished now, I got the horn nocks on it and shot 50 arrows through it indoors. Yesterday I took it out roving, it was a tad under powered for some of the longer marks but shot well and I was pulling the arrows right back to the tip with the point lying alongside the grip (the arrows are 28" to the base of the point and 29" overall). I shot another 55 arrows, so the bow has certainly been shot in.
This morning, I strung it, flexed it a few times and tried it on the tiller to 28", it weighed in at 44# . The guy actually wanted 43#, and that's what I've labelled the bow as, because it will doubtless settle by a pound or so. I normally only weigh 'em to the nearest 5# as the weight shifts over a days shooting and with age, weather etc.
There's a bit of a bulge at the grip, and the back is slightly concave across the width which would make it uncomfortable, so I've padded out the back with leather, built up and glued with UHU glue then rasped/sanded down. I'll get the black leather grip done today... I've taken the trouble to colour the leather black where the seam will be so that no pale leather shows through. I'm taking a lot of trouble with this bow as it is a bit of a stunner to look at.


I've just finished the grip, here are some pics.




No comments:

Post a Comment