Thursday 24 June 2021

Lever Bow and stuff

 


The lever bow now has horn nock inserts and I've had 3 test shots, it was tough to draw and a reluctance to explode it also came into play... I think I got it back about 25". I was shooting my 11/32" 100gn point arrows and they flew nicely, I didn't measure the distance as it was just test shots, but it looked pretty good. I've since been slimming the tips and the V splice. I took off the binding and re-did it at either end of the V, in the way that, if you were trying to bind two sticks together you'd overlap them and then bind at each end of the overlap. A single binding in the middle wouldn't stop them hinging like a pair of scissors. Video of a test shot

I've cleaned up the Bamboo back, rounded the corners and cleaned up some of the tool marks off the belly. The tiller has been tweaked since the last video in which the left limb was a tad stiff. I can string it with a conventional stringer now which is much more convenient, although the stringer grooves had to be shaped quite deep to allow for the acute lever angle.
The flight arrow I made for a facebook friend didn't seem to do the job being very noisy. My suspicion is that the bow is made for reliability and throwing heavy arrows when roving, rather than flight shooting. Apparently the arrow seemed to match a 90# bow somewhat better.

I've booked in to a field shoot on July 11th which will be my first for over a year, really looking forward to it. I've booked an 8:30 starting slot too, which will hopefully get us away before the compounders start twiddling and fiddling.

The 110# Yew character warbow was handed to it's new owner, but he could only get it to about 27" draw... hopefully by next Sunday he'll be able to work it harder and see how he likes it.



No comments:

Post a Comment