It's not been tested yet, as I may reduce the draw weight by 5-10# (it was 80# @ 28").
The previous post shows the break and the repair in progress.
Everything an amateur bowyer does to turn a log into a bow throughout the year. Making bows, longbows and primitive bows with all the tips, tricks and problems.
The Elm bow I repaired the other week, has stood up to a day's roving. But I've got another couple of jobs, one is a boo backed Yew by a Canadian Bowyer (Jamie from Ravenbeak), so it's not practical to send it to him for repair. It's a crack on the belly, I'll let in a patch. It's a nice looking bow, so it will be good to keep it is shooting order.
The next repair was Another bow, from a slightly dodgy character Yew stave that I made some time back for my mate JD (not to be confused with JT!)... iI was a sort of bonus Austrian Yew stave, an off-cut from the side of a stave that was thrown in with some others as barely useable. It's fairly heavy 80#@ 28" and he was testing it as a flight bow at a 24" draw (the light arrows can be a bit harsh on a bow). The tip snapped off, where there a bog swirl/undulation on the grain. I recon I'll be able to glue it back together and than overlay a patch of sapwood on the back, and chisel out a substantial groove in the belly for a slat of timber (maybe Boo?)
It's interesting to see what is salvageable and it enhances my skills, I recon a lot of bows get discarded because people just don't know what can or can't be repaired.
The break is very instructive as it shows that although I've tried to follow the flow of the grain as it curves up and down back to belly, I haven't managed to follow the sideways flow.
I've got the two parts glued and strapped, I'll see how it looks tomorrow when the glue has cured. The two pieces pushed together nicely.
Anyhow, I won't know how it holds up until he tries it out... I'm not going to put it on the tiller (or maybe I will..).
It's taken a fair bit of set over the years and is now probably at about 80# . It just needs a wipe of Danish oil and some beeswax polish to finish the repair.
Working on the lighter weight lever bow showed up some really useful points.
Best to watch this Youtube video first to understand what I'm going on about!
One of the guys at the club, Don, wanted me to have a look at a bow he'd been making, he's new to bow making and had got a bit lost, not knowing how to proceed.
He'd done a good job of the glue up and had sensibly made it very long 79". I think he'd rounded the belly too much and put some horn nocks on it, not sure if he'd actually had it on the tiller much, but it had taken a little set, so presumably he had.