Monday 15 July 2013

New Steaming Trick

I'm preparing a warbow length stave for a tillering demo/bowmaking re-enactment.
The problem is the only suitable stave was one I'd set aside for a character primitive and it's a tad wobbly.
the string line just about touches the edge of the bow at the grip giving it a tendency to twist on the tiller.

So... I'm steaming it to pull it in line. The new trick I'm trying is wrapping the steamed area in clingfilm to stop the steam and condensate actually effecting the wood so much. The heat will be there still, but the steam and condensing water hopefully won't touch the wood.
It's a shortish area I'm steaming, using my 5Litre plastic container to steam it in situ on the jig.
This earlier post post shows the arrangement.

Some people say steam dries the wood more than dry heat! Well I don't know about that, but it certainly effects the wood, the condensate will drip off red with the colour leached out of the Yew heartwood.
Let's see if the wood looks better, but still bends as well with the clingfilm over it.

I'm aiming for a 40-50# warbow length bow with a 32" draw so that it can look the part, but be manageable for someone who isn't used to drawing a bow.
It's not the ideal stave, but it does illustrate some of the quirks and problems of making a bow from a stave.
I'll report back tomorrow night, as I'll leave the bow jigged up for a day once I've turned the steam off.

No comments:

Post a Comment