Sunday 5 February 2017

Shooting a Few Arrows

I went down to the flood plain with my mate JT . He wanted to warm up a bit for a rove next week and try a few different bows and arrows. I shot my 80# @32".
He was hoping to get the 150# Yew back to near full draw, but it was a bit chilly and despite warming up on some other bows he wasn't quite there. Once the weather warms up and he's back to regular shooting he'll get on top of it. He had a look at the wonky warbow too.
The field was surprisingly dry, I'd checked it out yesterday and the river level had dropped a few inches since then.
The big surprize was some flight arrows, JT had 3 or 4 different sets, made by different arrowsmiths (none of mine). Some flew further than others, but two were totally bonkers, I've never seen the like except when as a kid I shot a bit of broken stick from a crossbow, The arrows took off, turned hard right, nose dived, then climbed again in almost a corkscrew manner, veering about 20 yards off line, before calming back down and sticking in the mud. He tried 'em from three different bows including my 80#. Looking at them, I think the problem was the point of balance was only about 1/8" in front of the geometric centre, add to this tiny fletchings and very stiff shafts and you ended up with arrows that fly like some of those early rocket launches that went wrong! I reckon if the back ends are tapered some more, that will move the weight forward and straighten 'em up. Out of about 8 shots with the 2 dodgy arrows we got one clean flight.
Hickman's experiments worked out that the cenre of gravity should be about 40% along the shaft (measured from the point). This article has some good info and references Hickmans work.
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/flight-arrows.html#.WJhgdFOLTIU
I might see if I can get the wonky warbow ready for next week so he can have a go with it. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment